Tuesday, March 20, 2012

I Don't Know If You're Looking For Romance Or...Don't Know What You're Looking For

The year was 2006. I was a senior in high school and beyond excited for graduation and what the world had to offer me. It was this same year that I heard of a little band on Myspace from England that was making waves. This band was none other than the Arctic Monkeys! Almost everyone at some point or another heard their hit song "I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor." I was instantly hooked and had to see them live. I did...three times! I cannot say enough about this band and can't really put into words why they have remained, since 2006, one of my top three favorite bands out there...but I'll try.

Lets start with the music. It's amazing They take everything I love about rock n roll, and more specifically British rock n roll, and play it with their hearts on their sleeves. No one has ever accused the Monkeys of being bland and no one ever will and it is because of the raw energy and emotion they play with. I'm no music expert but I do know that when something gets me jumping around by myself in my room that it's pretty damn good! What makes this one of the best bands out there in my opinion are the lyrics penned by lead singer Alex Turner. He has grown so much in only a few years as a songwriter and has a knack for writing extremely catchy songs. What I love about him the most however are the ideals he reminds me of. It is far too easy in this cynical and bitter world to forget about all the things you were so excited for in high school.

One of the biggest ideals is that of love. Alex Turner is in my opinion one of the best poets on the subject in quite some time. He has a way of making me remember all of the crushes I had as a kid and the ideals I once had before being toughened up by a dog eat dog world. The Monkeys remind me that I once had a plan and that it isn't too late to get back on track. I miss the days when having a good time with my friends and crushing on girls was all that was important and that is why their first album Whatever People Say I Am, I Am Not meant so much to me. 

Over the past 6-7 years they have since released Favorite Worst Nightmare, Humbug and Suck It and See. The latest album to me is the best one they have written as it ends on an epic note with "That's Where You're Wrong" where Alex sings : 
All the old flames fastened on
Make a wish that weighs a ton
There are no handles that you can hold
And no understanding where it goes

She looks as if she's blowing a kiss at me
And suddenly the sky is a scissor
Sitting on the floor with a tambourine
Crushing up a bundle of love
Don't take it so personally
You're not the only one
That time's got it in for honey
That's where you're wrong
I think these words just speak to the unpredictability of love and the fact there really are no guarantees in life other than we are all growing older and learning as we go along.

I will leave you with my top ten Arctic Monkeys songs that you MUST hear if you wanna get into them and a music video for their newest single "R U Mine?"

Top 10 Arctic Monkeys Songs
10. Crying Lightning
  9. I Bet You Look Good On the Dance Floor
  8. She's Thunderstorms
  7. Fake Tales Of San Francisco
  6. Mardy Bum
  5. When The Sun Goes Down
  4. Suck It and See
  3. Florescent Adolescent
  2. That's Where You're Wrong
  1. Certain Romance



Hope you enjoyed reading and if you haven't ever really gotten into this band hopefully you'll give em a shot soon! Comments are always welcomed!

-E

No comments:

Post a Comment