Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Dear Hunter

I first saw this band in 2007 when they opened for Circa Survive at The Mayan in LA. I had never heard them before that night, but I couldn't put down their album after I bought it at their merch table after the show. They put on an incredible performance! To this day, probably one of the best small venue shows that I've ever seen.

I think what sets The Dear Hunter apart, for me, is their use of instrumentals in their music. I would definitely call them Indie Rock, but they also push the boundaries of Progressive Rock, always impressing me with their use of strings, percussion instruments, a variety of keyboard melodies, and their use of texture in the music. There's a lot going on in their songs, it's not just drums, guitar, bass, and singing... there's so many layers and components that go into the songs, it's pretty impressive actually. They have also a somewhat "bluesy" sound at times, which I love, changing tempo and rhythm in their bridge verses that always keep you guessing.
   To date, they have 4 studio length albums. The first three, Acts I-III, are all part of a six album story line that follows the life of "The Dear Hunter," the main character of the story. The craziest part is that if you really pay attention to the albums, the songs, and the lyrics, there really is a developing story line. It's like an epic musical theater production, without the annoying dancing and spirit fingers. The albums could be a made-for-TV-movie.... they have everything from death, to hookers, to war, and it's only half way through the story line!
   Their most recent album, The Color Spectrum, is another project that consists nine EP's, each one a different color. The band decided to take a break from Acts I-VI, but I'm not complaining. This album is just as good as the Acts, and lets you see a different side of their song writing.
    Lead singer and writer, Casey Crescenzo writes most of the material and has an incredible voice. By just looking at the guy you would never know he sings as well as he does. He writes with incredible imagination and has a great ear for vocal melodies. He's also got a very "indie" voice and way of singing, but I love his style and vocally, he's freaking awesome.
"Now if you were in bloom I'd pluck your petals clean. Although it won't seem so, I can promise you my ego's running me. Then I'd be called, you were the only one that didn't fold. But I just broke right down for you in an attempt to gain control."

These guys are still not very well known, even after touring with Circa and playing Coachella. They just toured with Anthony Green (lead singer of Circa Survive) and are always playing shows and working on new material. Definitely check these guys out! My favorite album of theirs is Act II: The Meaning Of, And All Things Regarding Ms. Leading. Check it out! I'm listening to it while writing this blog, and it's freaking remarkable! Do yourself a favor and listen to the song below. I think it's a great representation of the band, in just one track. You hear a lot of the diversity that I love, and his vocals are just impeccable. The intro might be a little jarring, but in context with the album it fits perfectly and the vocal track, about 30 seconds in, is out of this world.


I know what you're thinking..WOW... Check out the rest of this album, and the whole story line. You won't be dissapointed. Leave some comments and let me know what what YOU think of The Dear Hunter.

-A


2 comments:

  1. Just 4 songs, Indigo; I could listen for hours to those 4 songs. Then modulate to Violet/Mr. Malum, where you get that DH feel the Acts brought you. And then finally, White; we've arrived.

    But nothing compares to getting my eardrums blow out the first time I heard In Cauda Venenum.

    Keep up the blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! In Cauda Venenum is a fantastic song! Glad you like the post... keep on reading!

    ReplyDelete