Thursday, February 16, 2012

Gotye [Go-Tee-Yay]

   Primarily using sample tracks on his albums, Gotye, born Wouter De Backer, is a Belgium born, Australian implant who has put out three albums over his decade long music career. 
   Virtually unknown outside of Europe and Australia, Gotye has risen in popularity in recent months in part, because of his out of the ordinary sound and hugely popular single called "Somebody That I Used To Know," off his latest album Making Mirrors. That single has more than 73 MILLION views on YouTube and a cover of the song by Canadian band, Walk Off the Earth, has also helped garner him mainstream attention. 
    I didn't even know about him until I was shown the cover of the song by my friend, Matt (big ups). From there, I fell in love with his universal lyrics in the song and the style in which he delivers them. The chorus of the song is incredibly well sung and heartfelt. The guy has MAD singing chops! Intense control of his voice, but it almost feels like he's not even trying... must be nice. HA! The song also features little known Kiwi (New Zealand) singer, Kimbra.
   The song, which is definitely my favorite on the album, is basically about a bad breakup. I think most people can relate to it, I know I can.
"But you didn't have to cut me off. Make out like it never happened and that we were nothing. And I don't even need your love, but you treat me like a stranger and it feels so rough."
   The rest of the album, Making Mirrors, is probably one of the most eclectic albums I've ever listened to. The nice thing about Gotye is that you never really get comfortable with his sound on the album. Almost every song has a totally different feel and style to it. I've heard people call it Indie Rock but I think I'd place it as more Experimental Rock because of his use of samples and different genres. It feels like a complete music experience. One song can be completely Indie, then the next with very strong blues and jazz features in it.
    I don't think the album as a whole has universal or mainstream appeal, but I don't think that's what he was going for. Like most musicians, he probably doesn't care if people like it or not, luckily a ton of people do. I'd say give him a shot and take a listen. I personally love the album and think it's a great combination of normal and abstract sounds. But don't stop with just "Somebody That I Used To Know." The entire album is fantastic and worth the money. Check him out. 

"Eyes Wide Open" off the album, Making Mirrors.

I hope this was a good post! Please comment and share your favorite bands with us! Always looking for more to listen to. 

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment